Today’s Vulcan Run (Walk) 10k

by Stephen Vinson on November 8, 2009

in Uncategorized

Well, I managed to complete the 10k today. Fortunatly, I had a walking buddy, my Mom.

The race officially started at 8am but we started at 5:42am so we could finish with the other runners. If we had started at 8, we would have finished around 11:45am, which is an hour and 15 minutes past the awards ceremony.

The first 4.5 miles were easy. It was the last leg that we both had trouble with. But we made it to the end.

Now my legs must recover.

Finally, thank you everyone for your kind words of encouragement.

Enjoy the  pics:

Mom and I started early at 5:42 am.

Mom and I started early at 5:42 am.

Mile 2

Mile 5

Mile 5

Mile 5

Mile 5

Runners

Runners

If you enjoyed this post, enter your email below to get free updates!

Jennifer Gardener December 23, 2009 at 9:53 pm

This is ever-so-inspiring! Congrats on your success so far, and keep up the hard work! :) :) :)

Jennifer Gardener
Proven Weight Loss

Anonymous November 16, 2009 at 3:11 pm

How awesome for you!
I didn’t’ even have the courage to try. My husband is thin and strong, he does marathons. Makes me feel like a Rhine-0 so I just don’t even try. I know , that’s not the right attitude. I’m working on it.

Lori-Ann November 10, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Congrats Stephen! You da man!

Marlena November 10, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Woot Woot!!! Goooooo STEPHEN!!!!! That’s awesome!!! What an amazing accomplishment!!! Good for you AND your mom!! :)

Stef November 10, 2009 at 2:20 am

Congratulations! Not easy and you did it.

Jamie November 9, 2009 at 5:54 pm

Stephen,

Congrats on finishing your 1st 10k! If you’re ever having a bad day you can look back on this accomplishment to help you though the “rough spots”

Keep it up!

Jamie

Barbara November 9, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Hey!

Congratulations on completing a 10K! Yesterday I did my second 10K for the “world run day” event. Doesn’t it feel great? Kudos on your accomplishments Stephen! :)

Barbara

anonymous November 9, 2009 at 4:41 am

Congratulations! That is AWESOME! I did the Vulcan Run yesterday as well (my first race ever).
Like Jennifer, I am impressed by your dedication. Good job!

Jennifer November 9, 2009 at 3:46 am

I just happened upon your blog, and loved reading your story. I did the Vulcan Run yesterday and actually remember seeing you and your mom! I am so impressed with your determination, your getting up that early, and your dedication to completing it. It was my first 10k as well, and I was sore this morning too! Keep up the good work and I will continue to follow your progress.

Stephen Vinson November 9, 2009 at 4:29 am

Congratulations on your first 10k! Thank you.

Christy November 9, 2009 at 2:15 am

I enjoyed your pictures!!I am so proud of you and your mom that is fantastic that you both did the 10-k I ran the race and it is a hard trail you have alot to be proud of!!Congratulations to both of you!!

M November 8, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Yeaaaaaaaaaaa, good for you!!! WTG!! :)

Amy November 8, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Congrats!!! Keep up the good work… you can do anything you set your mind to!

Jill November 8, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Way to go Stephen! Doesn’t it feel good?

Patsy November 8, 2009 at 9:39 pm

That is a phenomenal achievement! I’m thrilled to bits for you! There aren’t many people who are in the ‘normal’ BMI range who would attempt a walk like that, so you should be very proud of yourself and your mum!

Brill!

Jill November 8, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Way to go Stephen! Doesn’t it feel good?

Jocelyne November 8, 2009 at 9:00 pm

I don’t know you but am so proud of you. I know it takes a certain amount of willpower and courage to do something like this! I hope/know that you and your cute mom feel so proud of yourselves. Congratulations!!!!

herchelp November 8, 2009 at 11:23 am

@whoatemyblog saw you guys out there yesterday… congratulations on finishing it!

Jen, a priorfatgirl November 8, 2009 at 5:10 pm

okay, I’m getting teary eyed. You did it, you really did it! Did you EVER imagine you would do a 10K? HOLY BANANA’S, YOU FINISHED A 10K!!!!!!! That is the hugest bragging rights ever in the entire world! AND, to have your mom right there with you is even more awesome! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Congratulations!

Stephen Vinson November 8, 2009 at 11:23 pm

Thank you Jen. :)

Kimberley November 8, 2009 at 4:43 pm

I am so impressed by you both. That was so nice of your mom to walk with you. What a gift to have a wonderful, supportive mother.

Congratulations on such an awesome achievement!

Carissa November 8, 2009 at 4:23 pm

Congratulations!

ARSSmith November 8, 2009 at 9:19 am

@whoatemyblog Great job finishing the Vulcan!

Anonymous November 8, 2009 at 2:52 pm

I have tears in my eyes. This is so, so wonderful. I am so proud and happy for you!

Carol November 8, 2009 at 2:34 pm

I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT> CONGRATS. You and your mom should be so proud. What a great idea to start early. WOW, many 150 pound people couldnt have (WOULDNT HAVE) been able to do it. Next 10K I bet you’ll be jogging :)

Skitterbox November 8, 2009 at 12:59 pm

congrats! you guys are so cute to make sure and take a pic at each mile marker!

Pam November 8, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Congrats! That is awesome that you did it! And the fact that you completed it with your Mom? It will make for a wonderful victory that you will have in your memory forever. Thanks for sharing the great pictures – you are looking great! Keep up the fantastic job!

Karen November 8, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Great job!

Chris November 8, 2009 at 12:08 pm

The most important thing is you STARTED AND YOU FINISHED! I am proud of you and your mother also. Keep it up.. YAY STEPHEN! I think we need to start a fan club! What ya think?

screwdestiny November 8, 2009 at 8:27 am

Hey, that’s awesome that you made it! It was smart of you to start early since you knew that’s what you needed to do, and how nice of your mom to do it with you. Another one of your goals down. Yeah!

chris November 8, 2009 at 5:45 am

Stephen, It is wonderful that your ma went with you. Congratulations in a big way on completing the 10 k. That must have been really hard, but you did it and didn’t quit. great job.

Cynthia November 8, 2009 at 4:54 am

So super you both DID IT! Now rest those feet up tonight! In fact, be real nice to the feet for a few days.

BodyByPizza November 8, 2009 at 3:23 am

I’m in love with the fact that you and your mother did this event together! I can only assume that Vulcan will be one of those times/moments that you treasure forever. Such goodness. :)

Congratulations on completing the course!! Never would have thought to start out so early. Such commitment is truly inspirational. Thank you for sharing your journey with all of us.

jules23 November 7, 2009 at 9:23 pm

@whoatemyblog I’m so impressed. I couldn’t do it! I struggle with 2 miles!

BodyByPizza November 8, 2009 at 3:23 am

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: